David's Blog

What I realised I missed about meeting together on a Sunday & more.... -Midweek Message 23rd September 2020

 

Dear Friends,

I wanted to write about 2 things which came out of last Sunday morning’s gathering, both as a result of a brief (masked) conversation at the door.

Firstly, I realised (not for the first time but it struck me forcibly again) how much I have missed meeting and speaking in person face to face (or at least mask to mask) at a Sunday gathering. If you were there or you saw it online, you’ll know we had been thinking about the wonder of forgiveness, the amazing nature of God’s grace, as illustrated in Jesus encounter with the sinful woman in Luke 7, who loved much because she knew she had been forgiven much.  In the wake of that, someone asked me : When you have been a Christian for 40 plus years how do you keep alive that sense of wonder? What a great question! – and one to which I’ll turn in a moment. However, just the opportunity to talk further, to think further, even if only for a few moments, with someone else was something I had been missing.  It reminded me why the writer of the letter to the Hebrews exhorts his fellow Christians: Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (Hebrews 10.25). It is that in-person, mutual encouragement of one another, that iron sharpening iron,  which we all need and which is given by God as one of the primary reasons for his calling his people to gather together.

I am both grateful and grieved reflecting on that – grateful that some of us have had the chance to meet again in the building but grieved that because of the ongoing restrictions so many of us are denied the opportunity. Let’s cry to God that He would open up the way for more of us to gather while at the same time continue to look for creative ways in encouraging one another while we remain apart.

Secondly, then, to the question – how do you keep alive the sense of wonder over God’s forgiveness of us in Christ his grace towards us in Christ – perhaps especially if you have been on the Christian path for a long time?  It’s an important question because it is  easy to sing the words, for example, of Amazing grace and yet not be amazed, simply take Jesus and his gospel for granted.  So perhaps you find yourself questioning yourself in the manner William Cowper once did in his hymn O for a closer walk with God

                Where is the blessedness I knew 

                when first I saw the Lord?

                Where is that soul-refreshing view

         of Jesus and his Word?

 You think back to your early days of being a Christian and remember a joy, an enthusiasm, a gratitude that somehow has faded over the years. Or perhaps for others of us, one of the problems is we don’t feel we have what we would consider a great testimony. There is no before-and-after story. We can hardly recall a time when we didn’t believe in Jesus. We’ve maybe never been aware of being forgiven much. How do you revive or nurture a sense of wonder?

Let me suggest one or two things:

1) for those who can remember life before coming to faith in Christ it is a good to deliberately recall the difference that He has made and give thanks. The great evangelist George Whitfield used to return regularly to the exact location in Oxford where he first came to faith saying of it:  ‘I know the place: it may be superstitious, perhaps, but whenever I go to Oxford, I cannot help running to that place where Jesus Christ first revealed himself to me, and gave me the new birth.’  John Newton of course wrote Amazing grace as a means of expressing his gratitude to God for his conversion. Newton is also helpful when we are conscious that we haven’t made the progress we think we should have in the Christian life when he said of himself: “I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world; but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am”

2) for those who can’t remember life without Christ it is good to ponder passages which describe all humanity (ourselves included) by nature – for example Ephesians 2:1-3  As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.  All of us also lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. No matter how early in life we were brought to faith in Jesus, it was in that basic condition which Paul describes there that God found us and it required the same grace to raise us to new life in Christ. We all in that sense have a very real before-and-after story.

 In that regard it is worth also pondering that little parable Jesus told to Simon the Pharisee in Luke 7 of the two men who were in debt by different amounts but yet shared the same essential condition Luke 7:42   Neither of them had the money to pay him back. They were both totally at the mercy of the one to whom they owed the money. When  he cancelled the debts of both, they both received such mercy. They both could sing ‘A debtor to mercy alone’. That’s true of all of us but we can forget it

3) As well as looking back in time, it is good, though sobering and not very popular, to travel forward in our minds to the end and the day of judgement. Read some of the warning parables Jesus tells (e.g. of the wise and foolish virgins; the talents and the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25) in which he speaks of the separation that will take place among humanity that day, of the fearful reality of hell. To realise that all that stands between myself and such a reality is the grace of God in Christ is surely a prompt for praise.  On that day, for every Christian believer there will be no lack of gratitude for and wonder at what Jesus has done for them.

4) There’s a lot more that could be said but maybe I can add one more: in your own reading of the Bible look for examples of God’s grace to his people in Jesus. I saw one the other day that I had never noticed before. It was in the words of Jesus recorded in his resurrection appearance to the women in Matthew 28 when he says to them Matthew 28:10  "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me."  He calls his disciples his brothers. He owns them as family. Why is that so amazing?  Because the last time he had seen them just before and during his trial, they were all disowning and denying him! That’s grace! That’s the wonder of the forgiveness that he purchased for them on the cross and that he extends and offers to all who will come to him and  trust their lives to him

Yours in Him by such amazing grace,

David