David's Blog

A prayer for Good Friday

I found these words of singer/songwriter Stuart Townend. They were inspired after his reading the  book The Valley of Vision, a collection of Puritan prayers brought together by Arthur Bennett. They struck me as an appropriate prayer for Good Friday (though not just for then)




Blessèd Spirit of the King,
Of grace and love the Author,
Work repentance deep within,
And bend me at Your altar.
Melt my heart with majesty,
Then show my ruined self to me;
Teach me to more clearly see
Your might and will to save me.
Here I place without reserve
My soul in faith and meekness,
Trusting in Christ’s power and love
To flourish in my weakness.
Cause my days on earth to be
Through time and through eternity
A trophy of His victory,
A monument to mercy.
Teach me to behold my God,
And trust His power to save me,
Arms outstretched in constant love,
Whose strength will never fail me.
Help me to commune with Him,
Depend and follow after Him,
That through my life His peace will reign,
And joy be my companion.
Stuart Townend Copyright © 2006 Thankyou Music