David's Blog

A prayer in the midst of all the busy-ness of Advent

An advent prayer from Scotty Smith (anglicised in its references & spelling!)

Heavenly Father, the Advent theme of “waiting” confronts me in every context of life. Why am I in such a hurry? Why the rush? At just the right time, you sent Jesus. Not a day too early, and not a day late. It will be the same with Jesus’ second coming.
But as for me, cars in front of me cannot move fast enough. Amazon and Royal mail can’t be delivered quick enough. Restaurants can’t serve me soon enough and Wi-Fi can’t be speedy enough. Worse, people can’t make their point soon enough.
I repent. Early in this season of Advent, I want to recalibrate my heart, that I might live and love at the pace of grace. Free me of my busy, cluttered, in too-much-of-a-hurry self. According to you, the only thing that counts is “faith expressing itself in love” (Gal. 5:6), not impatience expressing itself in irritability. May my “to love list” supersede my “to do list,” a thousand-fold.
Father, thank you for not being in a hurry. Thank you for waiting to be gracious to us. Thank you for not being slow about your promises. Thank you for being patient with my impatience. I lament my busyness and repent of my hurriedness. I purpose to slow down—look, listen, and linger in the presence and beauty of Jesus. Oh, come let us adore Him, indeed.
In Jesus’ wonderful and merciful and name.

Amen